A merged chamber of commerce and economic development group.
Long story short
The 1878 History of Benton County, Iowa
A History of the County, its Cities, Towns, Etc.
Chicago: Western Historical Company, 1878.
pages 424 – 440
The county seat and principal town of Benton county, is a flourishing town containing about 3,000 inhabitants (circa 1878). It is situated on the west bank of the Cedar River (south bank at this point), and occupies the only really fine position for a good town on the Cedar in Benton county. It is on a high bottom that never overflows, and the prairie gradually rises from the bank southward, and affords beautiful sites for residences. The timber on the opposite side is nearly two miles in width. Nature has done much for this spot, and the good taste displayed by the citizens of the city in the construction of their homes and arrangement of their grounds, renders it one of the most attractive and beautiful towns to be found in Iowa – “The Beautiful Land.”
Click HERE to continue reading.
Our Historic Buildings
Vinton, Iowa is home to many historic buildings. We invite you to visit these landmarks as well as many others while you are in Vinton. Visit the Benton County Historical Society website for more information.
Built Circa 1860
The Horridge House at 612 First Avenue, Vinton Iowa, is the location of the Benton County Historical Society’s Archives and Museum.
The Genealogy Department is housed here and is opened at specific times the year around.
Built in 1893
On December 10, 1982 the Frank G. Ray House and Carriage House at 912 First Avenue, Vinton was entered in the National Register of Historical Places. This excellent example of late Victorian Architecture with Queen Anne features was constructed in 1893 by Frank G. Ray, local entrepreneur.
Dedicated in 1900
A passenger station was erected at 612 Second Avenue, at a cost of about $40,000 and was dedicated March 1, 1900. The lower five feet of the walls is of dressed stone of light color and the upper part of pressed brick. The floor of the depot is of marble tile and the woodwork of oak.
Iowa Braille School
Founded in 1852
Founded in 1852, the Iowa Braille School is the second oldest educational institution in Iowa. Mary Ingalls, its most famous student, graduated in 1889. Read more about Mary Ingalls here.
For more information, or to arrange a tour, contact the Vinton Unlimited office at 319.472.3955. http://www.iowa-braille.k12.ia.us
For more information about our historic homes and buildings, visit the Benton County Historical Society