In 2017, the voters of Vinton passed a ballot measure to establish a 7% hotel/motel tax within the City limits. The tax went into effect on July 1, 2018. Per the Code of Iowa, funds collects must be spent on recreation, convention, cultural or entertainment facilities. Vinton Unlimited has established the Vinton Hotel Occupancy Tax (HOT) Grant program to provide financial support to local organizations for community events, cultural and recreational programming, tourism and various other projects.
The HOT Grant accepts applications in the fall and announces grant awards in early in the winter.
Vinton Hotel Occupancy Tax Grant Final Report – Note: if you receive funding, this report must be turned in before future grant applications will be considered.
2020 Grant Recipients
- VFW Smith-Geater Post 8884 – $2,500 for equipment for craft & vendor fairs
- Vinton Parks & Recreation – $2,000 for Glow Run 5K
- Vinton Parks & Recreation – $2,000 for Splashpad & Grand Opening
- Vinton Parks & Recreation – $2,471.18 for the Climbing Gym
- Vinton Unlimited – $2,500 for Community Christmas Lighting Incentive
- Vinton Unlimited – $2,500 for Serving Vinton sign
2019 Grant Recipients
- ACT I/Palace Theatre – $1,000 for concession stand upgrades
- Benton County Historical Society – $1,000 for civil war re-enactment
- Vinton Baseball Corporation – $725 for an informational sign and Vinton map
- Vinton Guild of Fine Arts – $1,000 for art workshops
- Vinton Parks & Recreation – $1,000 each for nerf parties, e-sports gaming lab, skate rink floor resurfacing and Veterans Park Memorial Renovation
- Vinton Unlimited – $1,600 for Celebration Saturday and brochure restocking
- Virginia Gay Hospital Health Care Foundation – $1,000 for the Benton County Community Health Fair